The article quoted by janet p. on "Patient Perspective & Self Help" begins
thus:

"Effective adaptation to PD demands that patients and their caregivers
elaborate coping strategies that empower them and promote a more salutary
orientation to formidable psychosocial difficulties and thus, perhaps,
blunt or prevent depressive responses."

Just for fun, I decided to translate the psychobabble / jargon into more or
less plain English, as below:

Learning to live with PD means that PWPs and CGs must find ways to take
charge of their lives and learn better ways of dealing with serious
emotional and social problems.  This may help  them to avoid serious
depression.
*****
As a professional counselor, this skill of translation was an essential one
to survival in my chosen field---or as someone once wrote here, "Why can't
doctors speak plain English?"  (---or French, German, Spanish, Chinese,
whatever?)   Would a petition help?-----Naw,  I think it's a case of
"terminal verbosity" !

        ---just for fun!........ Camilla        <[log in to unmask]>

                          Laughter--    :-)   :-)
                             the best medecine !