On 30 May 99 at 23:34, George J. Lussier wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>    Don't write much for the list these days.
SNIP
Hey George, it's good to hear from you!

>  Please feel to send any thoughts you may have about Pat's writing or the story to pat at
>  [log in to unmask] or/and me at [log in to unmask],com

SNIP
>   Now, on to the point of the story.  All during this my thoughts were
> how could he sustain his strength and ability to cope through this?
My thoughts are first that the necessity of the moment provides the
adrenalin rush to do almost anything and secondly that the
realization that you are able to respond when needed builds the
necessary confidence to continue the role.
> When we were able to visit with her in the hospital and spend time
> with him, we were amazed.  He was looking very well and could recite
> in detail every procedure that his wife had been through, medications,
> etc.  My first question to him.  "How are you? really?  His response
> was that aside from being very tired (as everyone involved was) he
> felt well and that he seemed to be better than he had been for a long
> time.  He didn't know how this could be considering all he had been
> through and all there was yet ahead of them, but he felt up to the
> challenge.  The role of caretaker and been reversed and out of necessity
> he would have to do this.  The other factor was that the children
> had rallied around and he was feeling the positive reinforcement from
> this.
Once PWP's get started and rise to the crest of a positive wave
there's no holding them back.  Take a look at the amazing things some
of the people on this list are able to do.  (take a wee glance in the
mirror Geo.)
>   We felt uplifted to see this couple with 50+ years of marriage behind
> them facing this battle and meeting the challenges head on.  They
> are looking forward to being in their new home in New England some
> time this summer.  How fortunate that they made the decisions last
> summer that will enable them to do this.  (God doing a little prep
> work ahead of time?)  We hope and pray for her ongoing recovery and
> for his continued strength and good health.

It's a great story Pat and I thank you for writing it (and you too
Geo. for spotting the potential and sharing it).

All the best ............. Murray