Some while ago, in response to a discussion on this list on the subject of
what it was like to be 'Off', I wrote a poem called "Waiting".

More recently, during my little holiday from the list, I entered a period
of, for me, prolific writing which produced  a flurry of poems including 2
of the type I call PD poems.  One of these was "Do not think badly of me"
which I posted the other day - the other was a complete re-write of
"Waiting" which in the process became "Prisoner".      Whilst "Prisoner" is
less obviously a PD poem than "Do not........" it is very much an attempt to
put "being Off" into words. I am posting it in the hope that some of you may
identify with it.

Prisoner
------------

"Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;" T.S. Eliot

Thoughts flowing across event horizons are
compressed to emptiness at the core, and I
am poured into infinity, poured until I am no
more than parameters collapsing into potential.

Now I am Icarus locked in the instance of tragedy;
tiny, ignored, never knowing the full depths of
mystery; torn from my life by a terrible gravity
that warps space around me, bending the light.

Small birds moving at the edge of my vision
announce with their movements a new continuum;
from which time and place I'll want to know
if Icarus, when he fell from light to darkness,

found in oblivion an infinity of choices; and if
enough has changed that, taking the long view
from here or anywhere, we can see more than
the history of stars still running from being born.

(c) Dennis Greene March 1999

Dennis Greene 49/dx 37/ onset 32
There's nothing wrong with me that a cure for PD won't fix!
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/