Dear Barb,
That is really strange.   I hope someone with more knowledge of the body
that I have can come up with an explanation.  Your painful experience
may discover something.

I had a 10 hour back fusion a few years ago and needed 8 units of
blood.  It was a first for the surgeon and he couldn't understand it.
At least your doctor was smart enough to tell you to stop taking vitamin
supplements such as vitamin E, Gingko Biloba and Coenzyme CQ10 which,
needless to say,  I also had been taking.

Good luck with your recovery.
nina