PLEASE EVERYONE DO NOT FORWARD THESE THINGS WITHOUT CHECKING ON THEM!!!!!!!
Excuse me for "shouting" BUT---I will AGAIN remind everyone that there are
several websites where you can try to VERIFY messages like this before
sending them on!

Sharon wrote (snipped)
>-Get a load of this.

The following us from  one of the websites, (
http://netsquirrel.com/combatkit/  )and explains that this is an OLD
hoax--interestingly about CANADA not the USA,.  I was suspicious because
there is no such  name for US legislation as "Bill602P"--- Please read:
Urban Legend Update: Postage Surcharge Story -- 1 June 1999

About a month ago, a story circulated around the Net warning Canadians
that

     ... Bill 602P will permit the Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
     surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
     Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn by
     the ISP.  Toronto lawyer Richard Stepp QC is working to prevent
     this legislation from becoming law.

     The Canada Post Corporation is claiming that lost revenue due to
     the proliferation of email is costing nearly $23,000,000 in
     revenue per year ...

The letter goes on to warn that

     ... One back-bencher, Liberal Tony Schnell (NB) has even
     suggested a "twenty to forty dollar per month surcharge on all
     Internet service" above and beyond the government's proposed
     email charges ...

Unfortunately, the letter is yet another Internet hoax.  According to
a recent column in the Toronto Sun,

     Don't rush to the keyboards and phones.  The lawyer does not
     exist.  The law firm whose name appears on the alert does not
     exist.  There is no MP named Schnell.  Forget Bill 602P; that's
     not even the way bills are numbered.

     [quote shamelessly stolen from David Emery's "Email Tax for
     Canada" column, which we will talk about in a moment ... maybe.]

Proving the old saying "everything old is new again," here is a recent
story that has been floating around the Net.  See if you notice any
similarities.  The story says that

     Bill 602P will permit the [US] Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
     surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
     Providers at source.  The consumer would then be billed in turn
     by the ISP.  Washington D.C. lawyer Richard Stepp is working
     without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law.

     The U.S. Postal Service is claiming that lost revenue due to the
     proliferation of email is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue
     per year.

The letter goes on to warn that

     One congressman, Tony Schnell (r) has even suggested a "twenty to
     forty dollar per month surcharge on all Internet service" above
     and beyond the government's proposed email charges

Deja vu?  Yep.  The message floating around the Net right now is
almost word for word the same message that floated around Canada in
May.  [I particularly enjoyed the fact that Mr. Schnell was able to
switch from being a Canadian Liberal to being an American Republican
in less than a month -- ain't technology wonderful?!]

For the record, both stories are hoaxes.  Neither Canada nor the US is
considering an email surcharge.  Neither Canada nor the US has a
lawmaker named "Tony Schnell" [that's what happens when you jump
parties!].  Neither Canada nor the US has a bill 602P (in Canada,
bills from the Senate begin with the letter S and bills from the
Commons begin with the letter C; in the US, bills from the Senate
begin with the letter S and bills from the House begin with the letter
H).  Finally, neither Toronto nor Washington has a lawyer named
Richard Stepp.

... and, no, Australia isn't considering an email surcharge either. :P

For more information about this story, visit David Emery's new site at

http://urbanlegends.about.com/

[MiningCo changed their name to "About."  That's fine.  What isn't
fine, however, is the new pop-up ad that appears when you access any
about.com directory.  Be prepared to play "whack-a-mole" with the pop-
ups.]

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
      Copyright 1995-98, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
            Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com

Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to [log in to unmask]
Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to [log in to unmask]

    Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to hop on the Bus!

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "