Friends -

Earlier this week I had the priviledge of giving a presentation to the
officials and scientists of Diacrin / Genzyme.  As most of you know, this is
the research group I am working with to test the efficacy and safety of
pig-cell implants.  I was one of the first Parkinson's Disease patients to
have this procedure.  Indeed, this is a very exciting and interesting
experiment.

I thought some of you might enjoy reading the outline of the speech.

START

Thanks for inviting me to your meeting.

For those of you who don't know me; I'm Jim Finn.

And say hello to Priscilla, my mentor. <G>

I have a few words to say and then I'll gladly answer any questions.

First, you are seeing an experiment in progress.  I have not had any PD
medications
since 5 O'clock yesterday afternoon.  I am supposedly "off."  Remember this
as I
speak.

3 years ago I had nearly lost the battle known as Parkinson's Disease.  At
that point
all of the pharmaceutical therapies had lost their efficacy.

After a fight of 16 years it was obvious that I was entering the "end stage"
of this
hideous condition.  The disease had progressed and gave me all of the typical
symptoms: Poor speech, dangerous walking and balance, extreme fatigue, etc.

And I was told there was precious little else that could be done.

In July of '96 I was given a chance to join in an experiment.

Some company in Charlestown wanted to see if brain cells from another species
would grow in the human brain and take over the job of those that were dying.

As it turns out, the brain cells of aborted pig fetuses are genetically very
close to
those found in the human brain.

And, of course, there is a nearly unlimited supply of cells from pigs.

Obviously, the same cannot be said of human cells.

The word "xenotransplantation" was suddenly thrust into my vocabulary.

This procedure was carefully explained.  "Would I be interested in
participating in
this unique experiment?"

Before you ask, I literally jumped at this chance.  I had absolutely nothing
to lose.

For those of you who are not familiar with the actual process, here are a few
words
about it.

First, there is a very extensive battery of "base-line" tests.  These are
designed to
measure physical and mental performance prior to the surgery and to provide a
benchmark against which post-operative results are compared.

Also there are several CAT and MRI scans.  Then there is the PET scan.  I am
firmly
convinced that the Marquis deSade had a hand in designing that 1. <G>  In
this test
your skull is literally tied to the machine for the 2.5 hours it takes.  Not
fun.

Finally, after a false start that delayed the surgery by 3 weeks, the Big Day
came.

I arrived at the Lahey-Hitchcock Clinic and a special frame was mounted on my
head
with 4 metal bolts; tightened with a wrench!

Once in the operating room, a hole was drilled in my head.

By the way, you must be awake during the operation so you can follow simple
commands like moving your hands or feet.  The surgeon has to know that he
hasn't
put the needle in the wrong place.  The surgery took 2.5 hours.

After the surgery I was put in a holding area for a while before being sent
up to my
room; just as though I had nothing more major than a tetanus shot!

Are you ready for this?  The next morning I was sent home.  I'll never get
over that!

And the results?  I'll let you be the judge of that.  (Show tape)  (Walk
around room)

I am re-examined every 3 months.  The testing shows ongoing improvement.

Gains were seen as early as 3 months after the surgery.

I consider myself to be very fortunate.  There have been no side-effects.

Although I do have a tendency to wallow around in mud. <G>

I am very proud of the small role I've played in some very interesting
publicity for this
project.  It has received coverage on CBS's "60 Minutes," PBS's "HealthWeek,"
and
Australia's "Nine" network.  Numerous newsletter articles have been published
both
here and abroad.

Am I cured?  No, I am not.  Am I better able to function?  Yes, I am.  The
cure for
this, and other neurological diseases, remains elusive.

But I firmly believe that your work will go far in unlocking the secrets of
this horrid
affliction.  I, and the rest of the Parkinsonian community, charge you with
the
continuation of your research.

You are on the leading edge of this most exciting technology.

Finally, I want to thank each and every 1 of you for allowing me to bask in
the
reflected glow of your achievements.

And I wish you Godspeed in your quest.

Thank you.