Not to defend the Pope in anything he does, but how do we know that the Pope was not successfully treated for PD for many years allowing him to maintain his vigorous life,  and has finally reached the medicinal "retractable" stage that all PWPs and their CareGivers dread.  His other medical problems may be preventing him from a PD surgery.  He's had several non-PD surgeries through the years and surely would have a PD surgery if he could.  After all, he has fought to live on more than one occasion, used every medical treatment and expertise available at these times, and has never shown any tendency toward just "offering up" pain and suffering rather than seeking the world's best medical treatment.

I, too, am "put off" by the sight of the Pope in such bad PD condition -- but, outside of clinics, I have never seen  someone so often have the courage and determination to be so public and productive at "end stage" PD.  Most of our other high media profile Parkinsonians have retired and left the public view as their disease progressed beyond effective treatment.  Although I often wish the Pope would just retire his thoughts behind the Gilded Doors of the Vatican,  I have to consider that perhaps the Pope is one of the greatest public advocates for the fact that the ruination of the body by this disease does not mandate a ruination of the spirit and it's ability to keep giving.

Humbleness prevents many from "wearing their victories" or physical burdens.  Aside from his shooting, throughout his Papacy, he has chosen to discuss NONE of his health concerns.  Even without his voiced advocacy, maybe we could gain for the PD cause by simply adding him to our "PD Heroes" list -- recognizing and extolling him  as an quiet example of what we would all hope we could force ourselves to accomplish with PD "to the end".

Just thoughts,   glenna coplin (CG of Don 72/9)

Carole Hercun wrote:

   To Ivan-you're absolutely right re: un- and under- diagnosed PD. I'm
a nurse, work with medical professionals, and (now I realize) had PD
for YEARS before it was diagnosed. And I'm a medical professional with
access to adequate health insurance. Think about the countless poor,
elderly, uninformed, and uninsured out there...It took my teen-age son
saying, "Mom, I think you have Parkinson's Disease" to get me skipping
off merrily to the neurologist-no, that's a lie-by that point I could
barely walk, let alone skip. I am also a Catholic and believe that the
Pope would make a wonderful advocate for PD, but I don't think he'll do
it. I don't even think he's being trated for the disease and seems to
be offering up the pain and dicomfort of this miserable disease as some
sort of penance. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                                 Carole 53/51/?455