From: Parkinson's Information Exchange
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Bob Chapman
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 7:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Reaction to NO MEDS

Here is a little report of No PD MEDS for a few
days and my reaction to
this situation
About 3 weeks ago I suffered a sever pain in my
abdomen. It lasted from
about 7PM until 3AM. The pain had all of the
classic symptoms of a gall
stone attack, except it lasted so long. None of the classic
over-the-counter pain killers had any effect. The
same thing happened the
next night, so I checked into our local hospital.
After 10 hrs of being in
the waiting room and taking a number of tests, one
of which was a sonogram
it was determined there was nothing wrong, in
particular, no gall stones.
The emergency room MD gave me a prescription for
VICODIN 5/500 The third
night I started getting the pain back again, I took
a couple of VICODIN's
and within 15-20 minutes the pain was gone and has
yet to return.
Then last Tuesday at lunch I got a blockage in my
throat which would not
allow me to swallow solids or liquids, not even
saliva. I get this problem
every couple of months
but it usually goes away within 30 minutes or so.
But this time it lasted
3 DAYS, so it was back to the emergency room. Since
I hadn't been able to
take ANYTHING BY MOUTH they stuck an IV in me and
scheduled me for an
Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, conclusion, Everything
was normal.
Question: Could Parkinson's be causing these things??
Second weird thing. Since I couldn't take anything
by mouth for three days
I lost 20 lb.. And I didn't (couldn't) take any of
my Parkinson Meds.
Amazingly I feel much better than when I was taking
them, with a reduction
in symptoms. My meds were 1/2 50/200 CR Sinemet
3Xday and Miraplex .5 mg
3xday. I don't think I 'll go back to the meds
until after I see my GP and
Neuro.

Sorry this was so long