Numbers are important, but exaggeration can get us into trouble.

My comments are marked XXXXXXXXX     XXXXXXX.

 Ivan Suzman  on June 5 said:

Subject: P.A.N. Petition UNDERCOUNTS PWPs? This is a controversial message-
but it is necessary for me to get this off my chest.

I take issue with the PAN Petition's accuracy. Numbers are VERY important.

Why is the PWP number only 1,000,000 in the Petition?I think that the NPF
and the APDA  both conservatively estimate 1.5 million American PWP's.
Please help if I am incorrect.

Even 1.5 could be a substantial undercount.  Many, many sub-populations of
unknown and UNDIAGNOSED PWP's, such as the instituionalized, the high-rise
elderly, the poor, the rural, the ghettos and barrios of people of color,
and those who hide in shame of their symptoms are well-known to exist.

+++++++++The most recent "official U.S. government estimates" I have are
1990 figures  from the OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT [a joint group, now
defunct, of the combined House of Representatives and the Senate] in
"NEURAL GRAFTING - REPAIRING THE BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD" page 3.
Neurological disorder           Prevalence

Alzheimer's disease             1 to 6 million
Stroke                          2.8 million
Epilepsy                        1.5 million
Parkinson's disease             500,000-650,000
Multiple sclerosis              250,000
Spinal cord injury              150,000
Brain injury                    70,000-90,000 [totally disabled from head injury]
Huntington's disease              25,000
Amyotropic lateral sclerosis      15,000

NOTE: Prevalence is defined as the total number of cases of a disease
estimated to be in existence in the United States at any given time.

Numbers get very fuzzy.  If we count the undiagnosed, should we also deduct
the false PD diagnoses which are estimated at almost 30% of PD diagnoses?

I have tried in vain to find some good hard numbers, but there are none
available to my knowledge. I tried to get Sinemet production numbers from
DuPont and was turned down flat. PD is not a reportable disease so there is
nothing in the public records.

+++++++++++++++

There are also the unknown numbers of pre-symptomatic PWP's  who exist, in
the absence of a  standard dopamine deficiency test before VISIBLE symptoms
appear.

 The P.A.N. petition says there are 60,000 new cases per year in the USA.
That means  that every 16 and two-thirds years, the  entire current crew of
PWP's would all have to have died off.(60,000 x 16.67= 1,000,000)

+++++++++

The math here is right, but it one should think in terms of averages.
There is not a 100% turnover every 16.67 years. If the average age at
diagnosis is 59 years [there are no hard figures for this either], that
would indicate an average life expectancy to age 76 which on average isn't
too bad..

++++++++++

 Can P.A.N. 's petition numbers be changed before copies are submitted?
They are almost certainly doing us a Disservice.
+++++++++
The APDA,  the PDF, and the NPF are special interest groups and want to use
numbers that make the cause seem more relevant to more people.  Just
because they use the higher numbers does not make those numbers right.  The
figure I use is a million plus or minus a half-million. That number prompts
some readers and listeners to ask why I don't know how many of us there
are. The mere fact that we don't know may prompt some to say that something
should be done to identify the size of the problem. That could be a help to
us in itself.