Carole Hercun writes:

> having this disease. They will talk about his
intestinal polyp but not
> his Parkinson's. Perhaps because PD is a BRAIN
disease and there is
> still a stigma attached to a "mental" illness? I say
this also from the
> prospective of a psychiatric nurse. What do you
think?

Carole, since you asked.........

Over the history of his Papacy, almost any time the
Pope has had to be hospitalized for anything or is
obviously in treatment for something, a press release
is always given vaguely reporting something benign and
unimportant that has been totally "rectified" (no pun
intended on the colon polyps!)  Obviously, this man has
been in much poor health on many fronts but has chosen
not to take the focus off his leadership and message.
Most world leaders do the same when it comes to their
health specifics.

This is why rumors from good sources have persisted
that he has actually been treated for complications
from his gunshots, bouts with  serious cancer and heart
disease, and Parkinson's.  Using the rationale that he
must speak out in public advocacy for any illness or
injury that he has incurred, wouldn't he have to
support special advocacy for victims of violent crime,
heart disease, cancer, the elderly, and PD?    By the
very nature of his role as Pope (which, right or wrong,
HE sees as a universal role for ALL people), he must
advocate for every illness and injury that befalls
anyone -- not just
those with which he has personally suffered.  To my
knowledge, specialized advocacies outside of the social
issues of such as hunger, human rights, religious
freedom, and peace have never been an official part of
any Papacy in the modern world.

Taking all of this into consideration, I honestly don't
think we can assume that PD has been singled out for
"silence" because of the stigma of brain disease.   It
may also be important to consider that the Vatican no
longer denies the Pope's PD.  But, like every other
obvious and serious health issue he has, they  just
don't confirm it for the reasons I have discussed
above.

Though I don't personally support the Pope, I am having
a hard time figuring out where all this special
criticism from the usually compassionate List regarding
his PD role is coming from.   I would just hate to see
personal biases detract from our recognition AND USE of
this man's important and courageous role as a PWP --
announced or not.

I know you are Catholic and I hope I haven't stepped on
any toes here.  Thanks again,   glenna coplin