Dear Don:  My suggestion is that you do just as you are doing with this
"family and
friends" - be honest, kind, and sharing with your friends.  You do know, and
an ex-
pression of love and caring should never hurt - so I recommend you let them
know
at a time when they seem receptive to talking and visiting about personal,
friendship
things.  I do have some experience with people who "bad-mouth" the other, as
my
brother and his wife have such a habit - and she is not receptive at all to
talking about it- so I only try to deal with the situation through example -
give as much
positive, loving, kind feedback as I can when it happens - try to turn bad
words into
them hearing something good, encouraging, etc.. However, such a situation  is
often
frustrating since many times you just want to "fuss" at inconsiderate,
hurtful people,
especially when it involves someone you care about a great deal.
       The important thing is that everyone doesn't deny, avoid or just not
communicate!  Find ways to express your feelings - it will help them and you
too.
You've had enough experience with PD to know people will say and feel fearful
and
hurtful things about this damnable condition!  You have a strong, loving
heart Don,
so don't take it "personally", but rather that they are just hurting and
probably scared to death.  Time, patiance, and love can overcome so much.....
but let them
know you are there for them, just be careful  if they start "beating up on
you"
emotionally - you certainly don't deserve any of that  - but life's just not
easy, is it?
Anyway, I think doing something is always better than doing nothing....
            Hope these suggestions and observations can help YOU, God bless
you
in your efforts whatever you decide them to be.......
                                         only with love......         Marie