SUNDAY IN THE PARK
Reporter, Cappucino (Cappi) Tuchman

Finally the day arrived  - I was going to help  raise money to help
find a cure for Parkinson's  disease.  My best friend, my MOM, has
this disease and I would do anything to help her get better.  I wasn't
too sure about getting a bunch of humans and their dogs on a 2 mile
walk through Mercer County Park , AND charging them $15.00 to get up
on a Sunday morning to do this ?   But, it worked!  It was a success!

We got up real early and after picking up many boxes of bottled water
(NOT Evian, but equally good) for the walkers - canine and human, we
drove to the park with Barbara Schirloff, a friend of mine (though, I
actually met her through my Mom).  There were other volunteers there
already and we all got jobs to do. The Park Commission had been most
accommodating, they set up tables and chairs for us and all we had to
do was to provide a Certificate of Insurance, and to promise to pick
up any litter and dog-poops from the trail that Melissa Morgan marked
with HOT PINK flags. Melissa is a VIP in my life, she spends many
hours a week working in my house helping my Mom to get things done for
this organization called Parkinson Alliance.
I, of course, am a member  -- I attended their Miami organizational
meeting with VICTOR, the only other canine I know who is a PD --
that's Parkinson Dog. Victor's pop is Peter Morabito, and let me tell
you, Victor leads a very interesting life - but that's another story.

I wasn't sure how I would handle being a public figure, I was a little
concerned that I would be too nervous to handle the responsibility -
but I calmed down quickly. Everyone was so friendly, I got many
compliments and found that if I sat under Barbara's chair, I could see
the arrivals from the parking lot and greet the canines as Barbara was
talking to the humans, taking their money or check and making sure
they filled out all the forms. Why do humans make everything so
complicated? Sign here, put your address there and then they make the
forms wrong, so there is  NO PLACE to 'sign' your  name - even I know
that a PETITION requires signatures, not just a name & address.

There were some interesting combinations:  one human with 2 canines,
two humans with one canine, a whole family of humans with 6 canines, a
bunch of humans called politicians who came to  walk  canines from
places called,  Dog Rescue. My mom explained that this was a good
thing, both the politicians and the canines would get "good
publicity".  Relating the next part of this story, I must break the
1st commandment of good reporting:  foremost, remain neutral, simply
report the facts! How can anyone remain neutral  when you hear how
humans treat other living beings?? How can a human get rid of a 9 year
old canine companion because he has become too much trouble to care
for?? A canine would NEVER even think of such. I was aghast as I was
hearing the stories the ladies told about rescue operations they had
to do. My G_d (YES! G_d is there for ALL), how can they face
themselves in the mirror…..?

After filling out all the papers, we took pictures of all the walkers.
The politicians had the most pictures taken -  it has something to do
with their 'public image' and the 'upcoming  elections'. The very nice
photographer from The Times (Trenton) was there, I knew him from
pictures he took in my house a little while ago. My mom gave final
instructions to the walkers, "come back to the table when you finish
to see who won the GIFT BASKET (that MY veterinarian donated),  and
most important, don't forget  to use the poop-baggies!

Then everybody went walking. I stayed at the table with my mom, she
has a sore knee and we just chatted with a couple and the puppy they
brought from a place in Pennsylvania where they train PDs (Parkinson
Dogs) to help PWPs .  The had pictures of how they select and train
puppies and I discovered that they trained my friend, Victor. Small
world!  We then asked a young human - 3 or 4 years old,  to pull out a
name from the container to give away the Gift basket, and he got the
name of one of the Rescue operations - that was great because they
really need stuff!

I greeted everyone as they returned, all the canines were a little
hot - so we served them fresh cool water. A few bigger canines were
given big bowls and they tried to turn them over to lay in the water -
silly kids. Everybody kept talking about how wonderful the walk was
and how we will improve the next walk.  I saw that one of the
volunteers gave people jars with red labels to collect money for
research. And they were planning the next events, a  bike-a-thon, a
golf tournament  and something that they called a Bachelor Auction.  I
really don't understand that one - it was hard to figure it out,
because they would break out laughing every time someone mentioned it
.  Silly people!

I know I wrote a lot, but I am very excited.  We, 40 canines, raised
$700 to help our human friends to become healthy.  I know that if we,
four legged beings, were in charge, there would be a  cure for
Parkinson's disease and all the other diseases, because we would
dedicate our time and energy doing something about it.

I ask that you, humans, reading this report share it with your special
canine friend  and organize similar walks in your neighborhood. It is
a fun way to do something we urgently need.

CT
Today’s donations for PRO-Seed Grants lead to a PD free tomorrow!
Parkinson Alliance                                      Margaret Tuchman
1250  24th Street, NW                           [log in to unmask]
Suite 300                                                       Princeton, NJ
Washington, DC 20037                            609.921.1696