hi all

At 09:26 1999/06/11 -0500, art wrote, in part:
>Shortly after John Bjork's posting about AgeNet on 6 June, there was
>a hue and cry about that posting - for what I believe was the wrong
>reason.  In fact I commend John for posting it - and for the disclaimer
>that he used - but he did it the wrong way...

as i recall,
initially, there was confusion about where the post had come from
and whether the entire list had been 'spammed' by agenet:
since we are a 'private' list
[i.e. our names are not available to potential spammers]
this was a 'legitimate' cause for concern

>There is nothing wrong with posting false information to the list.
>(of course, there's nothing right about it either) - as all of us
>know that the list contains much deceiving, outdated, false
>information, and we sort it out with each others' help.  I'm not
>accusing AgeNet of being any of these, but if it were, it would
>just be so much chaff to separate from the wheat...

i'm not sure i understand your point here

if there's nothing 'wrong' or 'right' with posting
false information to the list
what are we left with?

maybe the intention behind the posting?

posting false information deliberately could be deemed 'wrong'
although i doubt any cyber-family-member would post such

posting false information in error could be deemed 'wrong'
but i prefer to use the softer, gentler term 'goof-up'
much less judgmental, imho

>There is nothing wrong with discussing a product or service
>that somebody somewhere may make money on or referring to
>such a person or company's website...

nope, nothing at all,
as long as the financial interest is declared as such

if the financial interest is deliberately concealed
behind another stated purpose or mission
then what we have is fraud
plain and simple

>Most of the websites on the World Wide Web
>were placed there for commercial purposes...

i dunno about this; i have my doubts,
but i don't know where such statistics would be maintained

>But we zealously guard this list against
>becoming anybody's commercial tool...

soitenly!
our list mom wouldn't like it
that wasn't the reason she created this list in the first place

>Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised that nobody else caught
>this point: What is wrong is the fact that HTML material was
>sent to the list...

i didn't miss it
i just didn't comment on it
i figured it was an 'honest' mistake
i figure we are all entitled and even bound to make them

how about writing up a newbie's guide to e-mail
and i'll post it in the "internet for newbies" section of the PIEnet site?
huh?

jaNET of pieNET

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/