On Thu 10 Jun, Callie M. Judd wrote:

>          The main change we are attempting right now is to remove the
> Cogentin from
> his mix altogether, since he has been on it for over l2 years and is down to
> lmg/day.
> Am I right in my perceptions that "tremor" is distinctly different from
> "dyskinsia"?
> The "pill rolling tremor " he has had since day one, and the Cogentin has
> always
> effectively eliminated it from being a problem- but about four years ago he
> started
> experiencing a "rolling" in his legs and jaw that seems to be a dyskinesia I
> finally
> found out (on our own, as usual) could be a result of long term Sinimet
> usage.  He
> had been on Sinimet st for about 7 yrs when it first showed up and the Neuro
> in
> Arkansas agreed to prescribe Sinimet CR for him (at our inquiry about it).
> He's been on CR for about 4 years now but the intermittent episodes are
> gradually being
> more of a problem to him so we requested an agonist which is how we got the
> Bromocriptine prescribed.  We're up to 20mg/day now and things aren't
> changing
> much.  Perhaps we do need to "fine tune" the Sinimet but I've been reluctant
> to do
> too much changing too fast.  Any suggestions anyone can give will be greatly
> appreciated since few definitive answers ever come from the Dr. and the last
> time
> we saw him he put our appointment interval to a six month rather than a 3
> month
> time so we don't see him until Aug. again.
>         The last reduction we tried of Sinimet (to 600mg/day) resulted in
> what we
> think was a sever episode of dystonia.  So we keep muddling on........
>          By the way, I hope I told Joao, in Brazil, right , that you had done
> the survey
> on Agonists a while back?  I'm  subject to remember wrong and things are so
> "busy" around here lately, I didn't take time to research it before I said
> it.......I want
> to interact with the list more, but been lurking mostly lately, and staying
> behind.....
>           Thanks -
>                                 Marie in Texas

Hello Marie, I sympathise with you trying to understand what is going on.
One of your problems is I think that you attribute too much to the drugs.
I do not believe that different drugs affect different symptoms  - it
doesn't work like that.  Imagine all your PD symptoms stacked-up in the
order of how much Sinemet it takes to affect them. This is how it is:
anyone else will probably have different symptoms, or the same symptoms
stacked up in a different order. Either way, their results will be
irrelevant to you.
   I hope you get on OK with Bromocryptine. I don't like it myself (Bad
psychological side effects) And it is not selective in which dopamine
receptors it stimulates, unlike the later Agonists.  I get on well
with Permax myself.

I start a 2-week vacation tomorrow, I am stopping my mail, so if you
call me, use my personal address, then I will have a record when I return,

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>