Sandy...

Ya know... that @^&! mask is just one more dehumanizing indignity,
that PD slams us with over the years.

I have often felt the need when I'm in a
"heavy-duty-mask-day-mode" to be recognized by others as a living,
breathing, ALIVE human being at those times.

Years ago, when I first became aware that I had a PD mask at
times, when I felt the need to have my presence as a member of the
human race reconfirmed I'd go to a local mall where I'd stroll
down the main concourse and meet the eyes of everyone glancing my
way.  And as our eyes met, I'd give 'em  a great big ear-to-ear
smile.

I had to FORCE my face into those smiles, too, because the PD had
such a grip on my facial muscles that without making the conscious
effort to smile, I simply COULDN'T smile.

A funny thing always happened when I'd make eye contact and smile
at a stranger in the mall - they smiled back at me, and both they
AND I continued to smile as we passed each other and walked on.

Eventually smiling and facial movement became easier to do and
once again became HABIT.   But I still go to the mall to shop upon
occasion and you can bank on it that when I'm there, I STILL
stroll down the concourse making eye contact with stranger and
smiling at 'em.  And HEY - THEY still smile back! <smiling>

Barb Mallut
[log in to unmask],msn.com