Barb_MSN asked:

> ... the heart is a muscle .... Does anyone KNOW if the heart CAN be
> affected by PD?

Very interesting question -- if PD affects movement, what about
heart muscle contractions?  I got curious and did a little research.
Here's some of what I found.  Any additions or corrections to the
following will be appreciated.

Thankfully, the heart does not experience any of the principal
Parkinsonian motor effects -- tremor, bradykinesia, and stiffness --
nor the drug effect dyskinesia.  If it did, we would certainly know
about it!  This is because the heart's basic activating and control
mechanism is within the heart itself, and not in the motor centers of
the brain. Electrical impulses originating within the upper right
chamber of the heart in specialized muscle tissue called the
sinoatrial node (S-A node) set the basic heartbeat and cause
contactions in those parts of the heart that contract.  This gives
the heart a fair degree of independence and isolation from injury
elsewhere in the body. Pretty good design, I'd say.

Hormones such as epinephrine and signals via nerves connected to the
autonomic nervous system modify the basic heartbeat, according to,
e.g., the body's needs for more or less oxygen.  It's via the
autonomic nervous system that effects on blood pressure and heartbeat
related to PD occur.  This is more the area under discussion, and
here I need to do a lot more research. To be continued (if and when I
am able).

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990