On 13 Jun 99 at 18:20, Norma Myhre wrote:

> My name is Norma Myhre and new to the PARKINSN list.  I started having
> tremors 3 1/2 - 4 years ago and was diagnosed with PD this past March.  I am
> a participant in a 2 year study and I am taking either Sinemet or
> Ropinirole.  The tremors seem to be mostly under control but am having
> trouble with cramping in my arms, hands and slightly in the legs, sleepless
> nights and achiness.  Thank you all for sharing information on these
> problems and others.
>
> I have an odd problem in that I have experienced a persistent abnormal smell
> for the last 2 1/2 years.  No one  in the family, friends, and especially
> those who claim to have a very keen sense of smell can detect the odor.
> After CAT scans, x-rays and other tests of the sinuses and nostrils, I was
> told it was something I probably will have to live with.  I even went to a
> hypnotist without any help.  Very frustrating!  In reading the "The PDF
> NEWS" Fall/Winter 1998-1999 issue under "Mary's Mailbag" on page 14 there is
> an article "What's That Smell?".   It says "We've heard from some PWPs
> who've lost their sense of smell, from others who complain of persistent
> abnormal smells, .........".  Last Monday I sent an e-mail to the PDF
> Organization asking for help but have not heard from them.  I have also
> asked for help from the neurologist but to no avail.

Norma, this is an interesting post....  I seem to have lost my sense
of smell most of the time, but at other times I'm convinced I can
smell something "abnormal" but no one else seems to know what I am
talking about....  I worry that perhaps my body releases chemicals
and I smell bad due to my daily intake of drugs but I have been
reassured that it is not the case. Any ideas anyone??

> Any information or referrals you might have will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Norma

all the best Norma and welcome to the "PIEnet"...     Murray