"J. R. Bruman" wrote:
> Something I've noticed but can't quite
> confirm is that when I eat a lot of chocolate, the effects of my
> periodic Sinemet dose seem slower and shorter in duration.
> Now what about the *movement* control centers, such as the
> pallidum and striatum, which are the main targets of the
> dopamine from our PD medication? Could it be that the "pleasure"
> component of chocolate competes with dopamine for access to
> those movement receptors?

Could be, but it's also possible that a large amount of chocolate, which
is very high in fat, takes a long time to clear the stomach. If you take
a Sinemet an hour or so after the chocolate, it could mix with the
chocolate and be delayed  in reaching the small intestine. This would
result in the slowed and shorter Sinemet effects.

> but no way am I giving up chocolate. I'd only make sure to take
> the dose of PD meds first, and THEN pig out on the candy!

My sentiments exactly!! Chocolate is a MAJOR food group!!

Best,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/