I know you are correct, Linda, but most printers live through the warranty
period and THEN die, or get sick!  You can get a new printer for the price of
5-8 cartridges, right? Also it is almost impossible to get a printer
repaired, at least for a reasonable price, and in a quick turnaround time.
Most places want about $100 just to get started checking it, and I hate to
say it, but probably most of them will not get fixed when you hear the price!
  Many devices are being made these days that are not
considered repairable!  To get around the warranty problem, why not keep an
original factory filled cartridge on hand, and if problems arise, just clean
up the area where the cartridge goes, put it in and try it. If it does not
correct the problem, I would assume that the refilled cart. did not cause the
problem, so they should be happy to honor the warranty!
Ken  B