Hi all ,please take care :
----

CERT Advisory CA-99-06 ExploreZip Trojan Horse Program

   Original issue date: Thursday June 10, 1999
   Source: CERT/CC

Systems Affected

     * Machines running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT.
     * Any mail handling system could experience performance
problems or
       a denial of service as a result of the propagation of this
Trojan
       horse program.

Overview

   The CERT Coordination Center continues to receive reports and
   inquiries regarding various forms of malicious executable
files that
   are propagated as file attachments in electronic mail.

   Most recently, the CERT/CC has received reports of sites
affected by
   ExploreZip, a Windows Trojan horse program.

I. Description

   The CERT/CC has received reports of a Trojan horse program
that is
   propagating in email attachments. This program is called
ExploreZip.
   The number and variety of reports we have received indicate
that this
   has the potential to be a widespread attack affecting a
variety of
   sites.

   Our analysis indicates that this Trojan horse program requires
the
   victim to run the attached zipped_files.exe program in order
install a
   copy of itself and enable propagation.

   Based on reports we have received, systems running Windows 95,
Windows
   98, and Windows NT are the target platforms for this Trojan
horse
   program. It is possible that under some mailer configurations,
a user
   might automatically open a malicious file received in the form
of an
   email attachment. This program is not known to exploit any new

   vulnerabilities. While the primary transport mechanism of this
program
   is via email, any way of transferring files can also propagate
the
   program.

   The ExploreZip Trojan horse has been propagated in the form of
email
   messages containing the file zipped_files.exe as an
attachment. The
   body of the email message usually appears to come from a known
email
   correspondent, and may contain the following text:

   I received your email and I shall send you a reply ASAP.
          Till then, take a look at the attached zipped docs.

   The subject line of the message may not be predictable and may
appear
   to be sent in reply to previous email.

   Opening the zipped_files.exe file causes the program to
execute. At
   this time, there is conflicting information about the exact
actions
   taken by zipped_files.exe when executed. One possible reason
for
   conflicting information may be that there are multiple
variations of
   the program being propagated, although we have not confirmed
this one
   way or the other. Currently, we have the following general
information
   on actions taken by the program.

     * The program searches local and networked drives (drive
letters C
       through Z) for specific file types and attempts to erase
the
       contents of the files, leaving a zero byte file. The
targets may
       include Microsoft Office files, such as .doc, .xls, and
.ppt, and
       various source code files, such as .c, .cpp, .h, and .asm.

     * The program propagates by replying to any new email that
is
       received by an infected computer. A copy of
zipped_files.exe is
       attached to the reply message.
     * The program creates an entry in the Windows 95/98 WIN.INI
file:
       run=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Explore.exe
       On Windows NT systems, an entry is made in the system
registry:
       [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
       NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
       run = "c:\winnt\system32\explore.exe"
     * The program creates a file called explore.exe in the
following
       locations:
       Windows 95/98 - c:\windows\system\explore.exe
       Windows NT - c:\winnt\system32\explore.exe
       This file is a copy of the zipped_files.exe Trojan horse,
and the
       file size is 210432 bytes.
       MD5 (Explore.exe) = 0e10993050e5ed199e90f7372259e44b

   We will update this advisory with more specific information as
we are
   able to confirm details. Please check the CERT/CC web site for
the
   current version containing a complete revision history.

II. Impact

     * Users who execute the zipped_files.exe Trojan horse will
infect
       the host system, potentially causing targeted files to be
       destroyed.
     * Indirectly, this Trojan horse could cause a denial of
service on
       mail servers. Several large sites have reported
performance
       problems with their mail servers as a result of the
propagation of
       this Trojan horse.

III. Solution

Use virus scanners

   In order to detect and clean current viruses you must keep
your
   scanning tools up to date with the latest definition files.

--
Cheers,
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +