List-friends -

Again, I think that the discussion about our numbers is so important that
this
is worth re-posting.
Thank you, Dr. Winterkorn.

Ivan S.

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:55:24 EDT "Jacqueline Winterkorn, PhD, MD"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>According to the recent authoritative review of PD in the New England
>Journal
>of Medicine [Lang and Lozano NEJM 339:1044-1053, 1998] Idiopathic PD
>"affects
>over 1 million people in North America."  This estimate does not
>include
>people with Parkinson's plus or parkinsonism. The authors also point
>out that
>"Underdiagnosis is common; in recent door-to-door studies, up to 24%
>of cases
>were newly detected at the time of the survey."  The authors report
>that
>"neurodegenerative diseases are projected to surpass cancer as the
>second
>most common cause of death among the elderly by the year 2040."
>Jacqueline Winterkorn, PhD, MD

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)