Phil Tompkins wrote:
> We know that Sinemet has to get through the stomach to the small
> intestines to be absorbed.
> Here's a question.  I just found this:
> MEDICAL OBSERVER MAGAZINE V4 #8:PART 5, Article "GASTROPARESIS: A
> MOTILITY DISORDER".  Contains a statement made in 1995 attributed to
> Australian researcher Dr. Michael Horowitz, an associate professor
> of medicine at the University of Adelaide-Royal Adelaide Hospital in
> South Australia to the effect that levodopa delays gastric emptying.
> http://www.cph.upm.edu.ph/mobs/mobs_aug95_p5.html
>
> Is this correct?  If so, then are we are all standing on our own
> bootstraps?  Or, if correct, does it apply only to levodopa and not
> to Sinemet?

My own experience, and that of several acquaintances having PD,
contradicts the conventional wisdom that levodopa is absorbed only via
the small intestine. We find that letting the (regular) Sinemet
tablet dissolve in the mouth instead of washing it down with water lets
it "kick in" in a minute or less, instead of a half hour or so. This
practice also lets one take the tablet right after a meal instead of
waiting for the stomach to empty. I haven't seen this reported in the
scientific literature, but I'm told of at least one well-known
professional who advises his patients likewise. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road