----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Kelly Abbett <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: woensdag 9 juni 1999 0:30
Onderwerp: Dear Ivan... (From Michael Claeys of PAN)

Hi Kelly, Michael and Ivan,

Kelly.....welcome to the listserv!!!

Michael........thanks for responding so promptly and clearly to Ivan.

Ivan........if you doubt the intention of a statement, FIRST ask for a
further explanation of what they meant. When the explanation confirms your
first negative impression, if necessary you can always attack THEN. If you
had responded this way regarding Michael it would have saved energy PWP have
better use for.

The issue was: how many PWP?

In the Netherlands the number of PWP is estimated at 45,000 in a 15,000,000
population. (I made round figures). That's 1 PWP in every 350 people.
This figure is a.o. based upon:
- sales of PD meds in Holland (pharmaceutical companies)
- number of people using PD meds (pharmacists)
- number of people diagnosed with PD (GP's and neuros)
- number of people becoming unable to work because of PD ( orgs like your
SSDI, etc)
Combined these figures give IMO a good figure of PWP.
Relating these figures to the USA (assuming that the percentage of PWP in
Holland and USA is the same):
USA has almost 300,000,000 inhabitants. 1 in every 350 has PD. Then there
are 9,000,000 PWP in USA.
(I made round figures). Given this, I think the number of 1,000,000 is more
realistic than 1,500,000 or 500,000.
In the political discussion I think the most important is to make yourself
clearly visible and put PD on the agenda of your government over and over
again. Done that comes the number of PWP into the discussion, and the
financial ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) consequences.

BTW: I'll be glad to visit the PAN-forum end of june, BUT unfortunately
Kelly forgot to mention where I can order my FREE plane tickets Holland-USA
v.v. (Just kidding, Kelly).

Hans.