Hi all,

The Agenet used the free Aureate Group Mail program.
Below I post there anti-spam policy.

I have sent an email to the agenet webmaster with some questions.

Hans.

Aureate Group Mail, Anti-Spam History

Aureate Group Mail is not intended to be used as a tool for sending
unsolicited email, often referred to as "UCE" or "spam". Unfortunately, with
the release of our Free Edition, a small number of groups have abused the
product, and have used it to send these unsolicited messages, often to
deliver hoaxes and scams.

If you are a user of Aureate Group Mail (both the Free Edition and the
registered version), be aware that IT IS ILLEGAL AND A VIOLATION OF THE
LICENSE AGREEMENT TO SEND UNSOLICITED EMAIL WITH AUREATE GROUP MAIL. Consult
Section 7 of the license agreement (available in the "help" menu of Aureate
Group Mail) for more information. If you violate the license agreement, but
continue to use the product, you are doing so ILLEGALLY. We will deny
technical support, refuse product upgrades, report your actions to anti-spam
agencies, and may pursue legal action.

When the first Free Edition of Aureate Group Mail was released, it contained
a simple tag line "This message sent using Aureate Group Mail" and contained
a link to http://software.aureate.com. It also inserted "X-Mailer: Aureate
Group Mail" into the headers of the messages.

A few people abused the product, and there was quite a bit of confusion with
people believing that we were the ones sending these messages. Because of
this, we removed the "X-Mailer" tag from the headers. In addition, the tag
line was changed to point to a new domain dedicated to Aureate Group Mail,
http://www.group-mail.com.

Although this helped, it was not enough. We then decided to change the tag
line that the Free Edition includes to the following format:
 -------------------------------
 This message sent to you by:
 Name:  USERS NAME
 Email: [log in to unmask]
 IP address: USER.SENDINGIP.COM
 -------------------------------
In addition, we changed the URL contained in the tag lines to
http://www.group-mail.com/1/, which helps to direct people to our anti-spam
policies. We also established a relationship with SpamCop.net in which we
assist with the reporting and tracking of known spammers. The license
agreement was also made more clear, stating specifically that Aureate Group
Mail could not be used to send unsolicited email (in addition to other
illegal activities), and we ensure that users are aware of this by
displaying that agreement during installation, and then also bringing it to
their attention each time they send a message with the Free Edition.

This cut the amount of UCE sent using Group Mail down to almost nothing.
Almost all of the reports that were coming in were the result of spammers
using the older versions of the product that did not include the additional
information in the tag line.

Unfortunately, we then received a report that a well known supplier of
mailing lists to spammers was offering a 'free' copy of Aureate Group Mail
(the free edition) to those who purchased his mailing lists. This is a
glaring violation of our license agreement, and we have contacted the sender
with a request to cease and desist. We have also asked them to inform their
customers that it is illegal for them to use Aureate Group Mail in
conjunction with those mailing lists, and that they are to stop sending such
messages using the program immediately.

The bad news, however, is that an unknown number of people purchased these
mailing lists and began using Aureate Group Mail to send UCE before we were
even aware that such a practice was going on. This has caused us to take
several more anti-spam measures which we hope will work to eliminate this
continued mis-use of the product. In the newest build of the product the
following measures will be in place:

We have improved the IP address detection. There was a problem with some
people trying to 'spoof' the program to detect a false IP address which was
then displayed in the new tag line. The new method should make the reported
IP address more reliable.

The tag line has been modified, so as not to include a link back to the
Group-Mail.com web site. There was some confusion where we were believed to
have been sending the messages or were somehow associated with the spammers.

We believe that we have made some good progress in eliminating this misuse
of our software, and we will continue to do so. Releasing the Free Edition
of Aureate Group Mail has allowed a lot of legitimate individuals, schools,
and non-profit enterprises to enjoy the product where they couldn't have
done so before. We now have thousands and thousands of smaller users, who
happily use the product to run subscriber-based mailing lists
(subscribe/unsubscribe functionality is built in to Aureate Group Mail).
These lists may have just a handful of subscribers, and these users couldn't
afford to purchase software for such a small list previously.

If you do receive spam, please forward the message with full headers (very
important) to [log in to unmask], so that we can report them the various
anti-spam agencies, and black-list them from receiving future products and
technical support from us (also, please be aware that the email address
[log in to unmask] contains an auto-responder message, but is also
forwarded to our abuse team). If you have any questions about our anti-spam
policies, please contact us by email at [log in to unmask]

[Start] [News] [Download] [Purchase] [Support] [Plug-Ins] [Awards]
[Anti-Spam] [Contact]

© 1998 - 1999 Aureate Media Corporation. All Rights Reserved.