ally

mdified from another post

1. sinemet will ease his pd symptoms almost completely
as the first stage - the 'honeymoon' stage - of your dad's pd career begins

2. the pd list archives are a goldmine of information -
we have likely been there and done that - if not - there are now
1800 brains right here, ripe for the picking / digging

in re my own diagnosis experience
here's something i wrote last summer:

onset

for some strange reason
i can't comprehend having pd as depressing
a challenge most definitely
but also 'just another problem' tossed at me that i have to cope with

in 'the road less traveled'
scott peck describes life as being difficult
once i got over the shock of that simple statement
i understood what he meant by changing the way i look at things

if i 'expect' life to be easy
i will always be disappointed and whining about 'fairness'

if i 'expect' life to be difficult
and maybe something i'm supposed to learn from
i will always be challenged and sometimes pleasantly surprised

i had symptoms for a long time before getting up the nerve to go to a
doctor
first was the small finger in my left hand while i was typing
cramps and tension
then my left arm
then my left foot

then i was uncomfortable and stiff while walking any distance
i got more and more frightened and
slowed down more and more

i even tried some exercise tapes thinking i was just 'out of shape'
and scared myself silly cause i couldn't do them

when i got the diagnosis of parkinson's disease
i went into a blind panic but that was based on ignorance

[since my functioning was affected - walking, writing]
it was decided that i needed to go on sinemet right away
so i started eldepryl and sinemet in october 1988
and have been on them since

my trip to canada to see the neuro
involved my having to get a wheelchair
because i couldn't walk the length of the toronto airport

my trip back to bermuda three weeks later, sinemetized,
involved my marching through the airport
with all the bravada and syncopation of a one woman band

eldepryl 10 mg per day has not changed
the sinemet has been increased in quantity and frequency over the years
but any changes have been very slow

so my total med menu is eldepryl, sinemet and prozac

i haven't wanted to start on an agonist until one of
the newer ones has been through a bit of a shake down period

if i'm 'kicked out'
i have a hard time walking, writing, 'doing' much of anything
my symptoms have always been rigidity and bradykinesia, no tremor to
speak of

if i'm 'kicked in'
[90 % of the time, except for those dreaded 'hormone' days]
most people wouldn't know i had pd to look at me
i might be a tad twitchy now and again, but nothing major

i must drive my cats nuts
because they'll watch me shuffling around like a 150 year old
and then within minutes i'll be chasing them up and down the house
like a five year old

that's one thing that i relish
the enforced 'on' and 'off' times
have made me appreciate the 'on' times so much more
i am sillier than i've ever been in my life
i used to take a lot for granted
but not now

janet paterson                           20 august 1998

ally

if your dad wants to write to me privately
i'd be honoured to be a 'sounding board'

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/