Biological computer prototype unveiled

Wednesday, June 16, 1999 Published at 12:21 GMT 13:21 UK - A large-scale
prototype of a computer that could be smaller than a living cell has been
designed by an Israeli scientist.

Some scientists believe that, in the future, small biological computers
could roam our bodies monitoring our health and correcting any problems
they may find.

The prototype has been developed by Professor Ehud Shapiro of the Computer
Science Department at the Weizmann Institute of Science. It is being
presented at the Fifth International Meeting on DNA-Based Computers at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

In terms of the logic on which it operates, the prototype will behave in a
similar way to molecules inside a living cell, a "biomolecular machine".

A living computer

Each cell of our bodies is a collection of machines made out of biological
molecules. These molecules can form pulleys and gears to move other
molecules around the cell.

Some molecules have the ability to assemble and take apart other molecules.
Others gather small molecules and use a template to construct new molecules.

In a sense, each of our cells is a complicated city of biological machines
all working together.

It is possible that a future biomolecular version of Professor Shapiro's
device could lead to the construction of computers, smaller than a single
cell, and with the ability to monitor and modify them.

If scientists were ever able to build such a computer, its medical
applications would be far-reaching. It could swim in our bloodstream or be
attached to specific organs monitoring and supplementing their performance.

"For example, such a computer could sense anomalous biochemical changes in
the tissue and decide, based on its program, what drug to synthesise and
release in order to correct the problem," says Professor Shapiro.

A Turing machine

Existing electronic computers are based on the architecture developed by
John von Neumann in the US in the 1940s. But the new mechanical computer is
based on the Turing machine, conceived in 1936 by the British mathematician
Alan Turing.

The Turing machine uses the basic concepts of computing, reading and
writing one bit of data and performing an action depending upon a program.
But although the Turing machine is a general-purpose, universal,
programmable computer and is key to the theoretical foundations of computer
science, it has not been used in real applications.

Like a Turing machine, Professor Shapiro's mechanical device has a "rule
molecule" designed so that the processing of the molecule modifies another
molecule in a predetermined way.

To demonstrate the concept, Professor Shapiro has built a
30-centimetre-high plastic model of his mechanical computer. He hopes that
the advent of improved techniques for making and assembling molecules will
mean the day when his computer could be made is not far off.

If it were built from biological molecules it would measure about 25
millionths of a millimetre in length, roughly the size of a cell component
called a ribosome.

By BBC News Online Science Editor Dr David Whitehouse
http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/sci/tech/newsid_370000/370035.stm

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/