Gilles,

I can take a beginning stab at this, and I'm sure others will have more
knowledge and can point you to interesting Web sites.

MSA stands for Multiple Systems Atrophy.  It is also, sometimes, called
Parkinsonism and Parkinsons Plus.  Many of the same Parkinsons symptoms are
present, but, like PD itself, the symptoms vary by individual.  This
suggests that the culprit is dopamine deficiency, but there is much less
known in the medical community about MSA than about PD.

The doctors can tell from an MRI if Parkinsons is present.  My father's MRI
does not show whatever it is that indicates PD.  Also, standard PD meds are
mostly ineffective at relieving MSA symptoms.

One neuro described it to me as follows (I'm paraphrasing and may get some
of this wrong):

The Parkinsons problem originates in the basal (sp?--don't want to suggest
it's an herb!) ganglia, deep in the brain.  The basal ganglia are a bunch
of different nerve bundles (?), not just one.  With PD, doctors know the
precise location, which basal ganglia, is the source of the problem.  MSA
originates in some other basal ganglia, maybe different for each person.
This makes it difficult or impossible to effectively treat the problem with
hole-in-the-head type surgeries.

For those of you more eriudite on these things, if I've totally messed up
this explanation, please forgive and correct me.

One Web site with a bit more info is
 http://www.ndrf.org/MSA.htm

Jane Koenig
(daughter of Fred, 80/2ish MSA)