janet

     Date: 1998/12/04
     Subj: Suggestion for Newbie Subscriptions / list volume

     hi john

     At 09:12 1998/12/04 -0800, you wrote:
     >Second the "default for new subs at Digest".
     >Is the "Digest" threaded before compiling.
     >Might make it easier for newbies to follow
     >along and get the hang of it...

     i don't know why the defaults are set the way they are
     barb patterson knows the answer to that

     the digest is not threaded by subject, only by date,
     it does, however, have an index at the beginning
     listing message topics along with
     the numbers of messages relating to same

     e.g.
     1. tv-ready-crew [10 messages]
     2. perry como [75 message]
     3. MJF [53 messages] .... etc

     my two cents' worth:

     i understand that the influx of individual messages
     might be a tad intimidating to some new list-members
     who may be brand new 'netizens' as well,
     although they can't be that 'green' to the internet
     if they are computer-savvy-enough
     to be able to subscribe
     to a mailing list

     however,
     i also understand that most 'pointers' out there describing our list
     also make another point of describing the e-mail volume
     so theoretically
     the volume on the list should not be a surprise

     some people prefer the individual message format to the digest format
     because they find it easier to reply to

     some people use the filter options on their e-mail program
     some people use their delete key liberally
     to each our own

     i cannot see the volume as a 'problem'
     whether there are 30 messages in one day or in one hour
     whether they are all about pd or not
     whether they are all about snake oil or not

     they reflect the living breathing organism
     which is this cyber-family

     we are not a corporation bound by company rulebooks and standards
     we are not a school bound by a curriculum and exams

     we are part of a new frontier of democracy
     where each one of us has
     the same opportunity to be heard as everyone else
     and
     the same right to speak as everyone else

     personally
     i find it awe-inspiring just as it is

     your cyber-sibling

     janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/