hi all

At 20:44 1999/06/18 -0500, phil wrote, in part:
>Ken, Janet, and other Listfriends,
>
>In the reply to Janet that I was mentally composing I was going to
>say that differences in emphasis in the two reports of same facts,
>evident right from the beginning in the titles "Fetal cells ease
>life for Parkinson's patients" vs. "Fetal Cell Therapy Benefits Some
>Parkinson's Patients, First Controlled Clinical Trial Shows Mixed
>Results", give us quite different impressions, that a home town...

well, heck,
i knew that the articles had different 'spins' on them...!
i just dug right down into 'the facts ma'am just the facts'

in all my digging and posting of news articles and medical studies
i've noticed all sorts of little 'tricks 'n' techniques'
including very simple ones

e.g. stating numbers in numerical characters, vs spelled out words
"more than fifty percent of the..." vs "more than 50% of the..."

the first time i noticed this one,
the writers kept switching back and forth between the two formats
almost as if they were trying to
muddy the waters and make comparisons more difficult

or

almost as if they were trying to
obscure and obfuscate the facts in a obviously obstreporous manner

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/