        New Test May Identify Genetic Risk for Parkinson's

ST. PAUL, MN.  A new test may be useful in identifying children and
adults whose genetic makeup puts them at risk to develop Parkinson's
disease, according to a study published in the March 10 issue of
Neurology, the scientific journal of the American Academy of
Neurology.

The study also provides further evidence that the most common form of
Parkinson's may involve a genetic predisposition to the disease.

The study was designed to determine if a specific battery of tests can
identify children and siblings (or "first-degree" relatives) of
Parkinson's disease patients with no signs of the disease but who are
significantly more impaired than "normal" individuals in the same age
group. The tests of motor function, sense of smell and mood had proven
effective in distinguishing mildly affected Parkinson's patients from
normal individuals in previous studies.

The researchers tested 80 first-degree relatives of Parkinson's
patients and 100 normal control individuals. Of the relatives, 22.5
percent scored in the abnormal range, while 9 percent of the control
individuals achieved abnormal scores.

Among the children of Parkinson's patients who tested abnormal, there
was a much higher prevalence of the affected parent being the father.

"This study provides further evidence that the typical form of
Parkinson's involves a genetic predisposition to the disease," said
neurologist and study author Erwin Montgomery Jr., MD, of the
Cleveland Clinic Foundation. "Now that we can identify first-degree
family members who may carry the abnormality but don't have the actual
phenotype (physical manifestation) of the disease, that will be of
significant help in doing genetic studies. Even if you have the gene,
you may not develop the disease."

"With this test, we can identify people who have the gene but don't
have the disease, which will allow us to do genetic linkage studies,"
he said. "This greatly improves our chances of finding the type of
genetic abnormality that underlies the vast majority of Parkinson's
patients we treat every day.

"Our test battery also shows there may be different forms of the
disease. Parkinson's disease in the very old may be somewhat different
from the usual form of Parkinson's which strikes earlier in life."

Montgomery says the researchers' findings seem consistent with
recently published research indicating that in older Parkinson's
patients, environmental causes may play more of a role than genetic
factors. "We have evidence showing that may very well be the case.
We're beginning to realize there may be different types of
Parkinson's. And that understanding is obviously going to be very
important to understanding its causes."

The study was supported in part by grants from the National Institutes
of Health, Arizona Chapter of the American Parkinson Disease
Association, the Jane K. Pelton Fund for Movement Disorders and the
Arizona Disease Control Research Commission.

American Academy of Neurology news release
March 10, 1999
http://www.aan.com/roster_f.html

But --

Most Parkinson's Not Inherited.
Twins Study Found Environment Is A Factor

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Posted 2:43 p.m. January 26, 1999 --

California researchers say that despite the discovery of a genetic
defect that can cause Parkinson's disease, most cases are not
inherited.

The research, led by Doctor Caroline Tanner of the Parkinson's
Institute in Sunnyvale, looked at more than 17,000 twins. The study
was published today in the Journal of the American
Medical Association.

Tanner said environmental factors that could impact the disease are so
far unknown. But they may include chemical exposures, diet and
smoking. Smoking, by the way, seems to reduce the likelihood of
developing Parkinson's -- though the scientists don't recommend
smoking.

Tanner's study says that for the approximately 10 percent of people
who are diagnosed before age 50, a genetic cause is most common. After
50, environmental factors appear to be to blame.

Go figure!

P.T.