PMID: 10370911: Management of motor fluctuations in advanced PD,
which Janet posted here, read, in part:

> Consequently, in order to overcome response fluctuations caused by
> impaired pharmacokinetic mechanisms and to improve its absorption,
> we recommend that levodopa be taken in multiple small doses, on an
> empty stomach, preferably crushed and mixed with a lot of liquid.
> Protein intake should be minimized.

And, if I may repeat what I posted before, dietary FAT should be
minimized.  Fat prolongs the time before the stomach empties its
contents into the intestines, where levodopa gets absorbed into the
bloodstream.  In my expeience fat is a worse culprit in reducing
levodopa delivery to the brain than protein is. Protein merely
competes for access to the brain.  Fat delays the start of the
competition, often for hours.  Does anyone know what happens to
regular Sinemet after it sits for several hours in the stomach?
What about CR?

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990