> "I have had rheumatoid arthritis since a fairly young age. I get
> acupuncture treatments from a neurologist, and they are helpful. The
> neurologist took up the study of acupuncture because he found important
> areas of treatment not addressed by his western-medicine training.

I am also in complete accord with the statements made by Dr. Bernard Barber
on alternative medicine.  As a former research chemist with the FDA working
closely with industry and the USP, the scientific method was the only one
that could be used to validate compendial procedures.  When medical problems
of all sorts plagued my wife and me, we sought a more holistic approach to
therapy.  We are proud to claim that we financially support the medical
establishment (quick count listed about 11 Drs.), not because we wanted to
so but rather because we had to because of  our health.
Yet, when arthritis began to bother me seriously and the rheumatologist
prescribed a huge dose of ibuprofen and failed to monitor my liver function
that rose to an alarming level, I quit the normal medical procedure and
began a treatment of acupuncture with a Chinese trained Korean
professional.  Within a few weeks she was able to eliminate my need for a
second carpal tunnel operation, and my arthritic pains subsided and remained
practically unnoticed for well over ten years.  Within that time I noted
that acupuncture was being evaluated by the FDA and NIH and though it had
not been officially 'approved', the medical establishment did show that
acupuncture released opiate like chemicals (my senior moments gave me a
lapse to relate just which ones at this time) in the body that alleviated
pain.
Modern Western medicine does not have answers for everything, but I am not
willing to allow my body to become an experimetal tool for quacks and
charlatans and snake charmers purveyors of snake oil and other such
deceivers that abound and are ready to pounce on you for every penny we are
willing to pay for a 'cure'.

Michel Margosis
'Carpe Diem'