One more item on the trip, I am only 40,  and I still drive a good bit, but
long trips will made me literally scream in pain. I can appreciate your mom
wanting to not lose anymore of her future dreams, but your dad didn't ask
for his loss either.  This is not a "I am right so I will win this argument"
they are discussing.  The trip is bad enough, but if your Dad wants to try
it to please your Mom, more power to him. But one trip or 100 wont give your
parents the future they planned back, and from what you've said, I wonder if
your Mom isn't trying to deny that the disease is going to affect them
sooner rather than later.
It is very frustrating, as well as humiliating, to stand there saying I
don't want to do this, and your family and/or doctors just keep right on
talking about what you are going to do.  I really think if you showed your
mom about half the emails received on this subject, she might be willing to
compromise at least to the extent of renting a winnabego type camper which
would help your dad not hurt so bad.  It's total bull that big cars/trucks
are the same - I drive a one ton, 4 door pickup and while it is much nicer
for me to move around in that my old escort, it still isn't  Sorry for
unloading, but I know the pain riding can cause me and I  hate to see
someone else go through it unnecessarily.