Lest some others get hopes up in vain, I'll repeat a comment that may
not have gotten through before. This comes from the 1992 Merck Manual,
a bit dated but I think still true: "...being used clinically in a few
centers, but it remains primarily a research tool. The PET scanner is
very expensive, and many of the most useful radionuclides have very
short half-lives generally requiring an on-site cyclotron."
A couple of newer scanning techniques, single-photon-emission computed
tomography (SPECT) and magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) are
cheaper and more likely to come into use for routine diagnosis. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road