Teresa, one of the unfortunate symptoms of PD is becoming housebound before
there are any physical reasons for it.  Also a touch of depression and a
penchant for worrying about things that are unlikely to happen, seem to go
along with PD for some folks. I would suggest to let dad go and try to go the
whole way as planned.
If he does not, he may always feel like he missed something!  The change of
scenery will do more good than harm. These are my opinions based on
experiences with my father.  Also, if the car has a tape or CD player, and
dad enjoys music, stock up the car with plenty of his favorite tunes, it
makes the driving more enjoyable. Good luck...
Ken B