This is definitely a confusing situation.  As Janet mentioned, most of
the basic facts are the same but the spin is completely opposite.  Why
would two sources diverge so completely?

It seems that those who write the news, Associated Press and local and
national newspapers, view positive research results as newsworthy while
mixed or negative results are considered too complex for their readers
to grasp.  I'm not quite sure of why this is but you don't hear a lot of
reports about treatments or procedures that do NOT definitively cure
cancer or control AIDS.  Perhaps we as readers are board by  "Dog Bites
Man" stories.   Given mixed results the newspapers will emphasize the upside.

The National Intstitutes of Health are giving us the results from a
different perspective.  They have just gotten data and analysis from a
very controversial study of a procedure that the Parkinson's community
aggressively pushed as the best potential treatment for PD. Not long ago
fetal tissue surgery was the biggest thing on the horizon offering the
greatest hope in the shortest time frame.  Many procedures were being
done with different protocols and no adequate control group.   This
study cost the NIH (the American people) around four million dollars.
Another similar study is in progress.

The NIH has an obligation to report the facts and not sugar-coat them.
I think the spin is: "Don't put too many eggs in this basket.  Fetal
tissue surgery is no panacea."  Perhaps the spin is even more negative
than that.  Perhaps it is the NIH saying, "We financed the study you
wanted.  It did not produce dramatically positive results so don't
expect us to spend a dispropotionate amount of money in this area in the
future when there are other procedures with more predictable results.

The most important point is that transplanting immature neurons into the
brain of Parkinson's patients can, under the right conditions, provide
dramatic improvement.  This study taught researchers that age matters.
We are obviously not on the brink of treating large numbers of severely
impaired PUWs with it yet because we need to learn why it is not working
adequately on the majority of subjects.

I don't think the NIH assembled scientific boards that approve
neuroscience research are going to be enthusiastic about committing
large sums of money to this specific path of research in the near future
given the multitude of other avenues with great potential.