-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Bonnie Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: dinsdag 15 juni 1999 19:58
Onderwerp: (fwd) Types of stamps.

>       The Breast Cancer Research stamp was made a chariatble stamp by an
act
>       of Congress and I suggest you contact your representative regarding
>       this issue.

http://www.usps.gov/fr_stamps.html

CRITERIA STAMP SUBJECT SELECTION

The U.S. Postal Service and the members of the Citizens' Stamp Advisory
Committee (CSAC) have set certain basic criteria for determining eligibility
of subjects for commemoration on U.S. stamps and stationery.
These criteria were first formulated about the time of the Postal
Reorganization in the early 1970s, and have been refined and expanded
gradually since then.
The following are the 12 major criteria now guiding subject selection:

1
It is a general policy that U.S. postage stamps and stationery primarily
will feature American or American-related subjects.

2
No living person shall be honored by portrayal on U.S. postage.

3
Commemorative stamps or postal stationery items honoring individuals
usually will be issued on, or in conjunction with, significant anniversaries
of their birth, but no postal item will be issued sooner than ten years
after the individual's death. The only exception to the ten-year rule is the
issuance of stamps honoring deceased U.S. presidents. They may be honored
with a memorial stamp on the first birth anniversary following death.

4
Event of historical significance shall be considered for commemoration only
on anniversaries in multiples of 50 years.

5
Only events and themes of widespread national appeal and significance will
be considered for commemoration. Events or themes of local or regional
significance may be recognized by a philatelic or special cancellation,
which may be arranged through the local postmaster.

6
Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor fraternal,
political, sectarian, or service/charitable organizations that exist
primarily to solicit and/or distribute funds. Nor shall stamps be issued to
honor commercial enterprise or products.

7
Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor cities, towns,
municipalities, counties, primary or secondary schools, hospitals,
libraries, or similar institutions. Due to the limitations placed on annual
postal programs and the vast number of such locales, organizations, and
institutions in existence, it would be difficult to single out one for
commemoration.

8
Requests for observance of statehood anniversaries will be considered for
commemorative postage stamps only at intervals of 50 years from the date of
the state's first entry into the Union. Requests for observance of other
state-related or regional anniversaries will be considered only as subjects
for postal stationery, and again only at intervals of 50 years from the date
of the event.

9
Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor religious
institutions or individuals whose principal achievement are associated with
religious undertakings or beliefs.

10
Stamps or postal stationery items with added values, referred to as
"semi-postals," shall not be issued. Due to the vast number of worthy
fund-raising organizations in existence, it would be difficult to single out
specific ones to receive such revenue. There also is a strong U.S. tradition
of private fund-raising for charities, and the administrative costs involved
in accounting for sales would tend to negate the revenues derived.

11
Requests for commemoration of significant anniversaries of universities and
other institutions of higher education shall be considered only in regard to
Historic Preservation Series postal cards featuring an appropriate building
on the campus.

12
No stamp shall be considered for issuance if one treating the same subject
has been issued in the past ten years. The only exceptions to this rule will
be those stamps issued in recognition of traditional themes such as
Christmas, U.S. Flags, Express Mail, Love, etc.

Ideas for stamps subjects that meet the criteria may be addressed to the
Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee, c/o Stamp Management, U.S. Postal
Service, 475 L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Room 4474EB, Washington, DC 20260-6756.
Subjects suggestions should be submitted at least three years in advance of
the proposed date of issue to allow sufficient time for consideration and
for design and production if the subject is approved.

The selection of subjects for U.S. postage stamps and stationery is a
difficult task, since only a limited number of new commemorative items can
be issued annually. To help in the selection process, the Postmaster General
established the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee (CSAC) over 30 years ago
to recommend subjects and designs. Members are appointed to the Committee by
the Postmaster General. They reflect a wide range of educational, artistic,
historical and professional expertise.

Once a subject is approved, the Postal Service relies, to a great extent, on
the design coordinators for the Advisory Committee in selecting artists to
execute the designs. Stamp designing is an unusual art form requiring
exacting skill in portraying a subject within very small dimensions. Due to
the demands of stamp design and reproduction requirements, it is our policy
not to review nor accept unsolicited artwork.