Rosemary,

  Reading what you have described,  I believe that some or all of
Rollin's awful esperience could well be due to a very low dopamine state
or dopamine depletion state.  This severe loss of movement and inability
to stand or sit up HAS happened to me exactly when I have slept too long
beyond a scheduled dose time for medications.

A question I think you may find helpful to consider is whether the
medicines Rollin takes are scheduled frequently enough to elevate his
dopamine level adequately to allow him to sleep or nap without fear of a
low-dopamine crisis developing before he awakes..

I have learned that if I take 1/2 of a Sinemet 25/100 (yellow ) with
orange juice, mixed with
Mountain Dew soda or with water, and especially if I chew up the
half-tablet, I will
improve dramaticaly within 15 minutes,  with no harm to my system. Within
35 to 45 minutes, I regain most of my normal movement.

Good luck, Rosemary....

Ivan  :-)

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:41:03 -0700 Rosemary & Rollin Dexter
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Can any one tell me if it is possible to have a freezing episode
>while
>taking a nap?  My husband was taking a nap while I was out at a quilt
>show.
> When I got back I looked in on him and he seemed to be asleep so I
>didn't
>go in.  About 15 minutes later he was at the foot of the stairs
>calling
>weakly for help.
>
>He said he woke up and couldn't move.  He thought he lay there for
>over an
>hour and then when I didn't come in willed himself with great effort
>roll onto his knees (he was lying  on the floor) and crawl to the
>stairs.
>He was trying to pull himself to his feet when I got to him.  With the
>help
>of my brotherinlaw we got him to a bed.  My daughter who is a nurse
>practioner came in and examined and questioned him.  His tongue was
>thick
>and he was talking very slowly.  His body movements were symetrical.
>His
>grip was strong.  His muscles especially at the backs of his legs were
>very
>hard and like in a cramp.  He had a light headache and said he had had
>one
>for several days.  My daughter thought it might have been a TIA while
>I am
>more inclined to think it was a freezing episode although he has never
>had
>one.
>
>This all happened away from home.  We are back now and he is going to
>call
>a Dr. to see if he can shed any light on what happened.  I would like
>know if anyone has had a similar experience.  I doubt that his
>regular
>doctor will consider the freezing episode as a possibility at all.
>
>Thanks.  Rosemary Dexter cg for Dex 75/6

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses       77    deg. F   :-)