Dear Rosemary:  My husband and I have had many discussions trying to under-
stand what he is expeiencing during the night (mostly).  Often times he seems
think he is calling me when , we have concluded, he is probably only thinking
in
his mind that he is moving or making any noise to ask for my assistance.  He
insists that I "just won't wake up" - and often thinks the time element is
for "hours"
when it may only involve minutes (sometimes I have been somewhat awake and
aware of his activity level and my own response time).  Anyway, it does seem
there is a "freezing" element to his communication abilities when asleep.
Also, no matter how well his meds do him daily - he often encounters freezing
when just waking up, or during bathroom visits at night.  His experiences the
past
l3 yr. leads us to believe that even though no freezing has ever occurred
before,
freezing would likely show up at first during "sleepiness".   My husband has
learned to compensate for such times real well - seldom falling - but I can
see where anyone having a new experience - especially under stress of a new
surrounding, would have many of the symptoms you describe.  Our best defenses
against such episodes has been lots of communications about feelings,
possibilities,  and ways to cope and understand (considering and discussing
all the doctors ideas also).  All in all, your idea of freezing while asleep
is not at all
out of the question to us.....
                By the way,  don't know if it applies in your case , but much
of my husbands concerns had to be dealt with about feelings of being
abandoned or
stranded while unable to move on his own - especially during sleep times.
              Hope this helps......          Marie  carepartner for husband
70/l3