Hi Clare....

Originally, as I began adding vitamin E to my daily pill-regimen I
asked the pharmacist at Kaiser (my HMO) for a recommendation on
what would be an appropriate daily dose since at that time I
hadn't a clue.

Generally, up until my recent surgery (one month ago) I'd
maintianed my daily intake of Vitamin E at around 1200 to 1600
ICUs daily.  HOWEVER, two weeks prior to the surgery, the surgeon
had me go off ALL supplaments and vitimans except for one
multi-vitamin/mineral tabled daily.  That meant going off the
vitamin E, and the Gingko Biloba abd Coenzyme CQ10 with made up my
daily supplaments.

The surgeon explained to me that those over-the-counter
supplaments are known to slow down blood clotting time and is
potentially very dangeous because of that.

Based upon the above, when I added vitamin E back into my daily
regamin I put a ceiling on the amont I'd take each day - settling
at 800 ICUs a day.

The problem with OTC suppliments is that neither doctors or
pharmacist  seems  to have a uniform opinion on what is a safe
level of the daily amount of suplpmemts, and goodness only knows
how the vast majority of us decide what OTC supplaments and daily
to take

SOOO...my answer to your original question is that I'm "winging
it."  And what works for ME is what I take, and I believe everone
should base their own suppliment intake after doing extensive
personal research so that they won't overdo it and experience
negative side effects.

Barb Mallut