>Last night I was setting up my mothers pill box for the week and grabbed
>for the new bottle of Zocor (cholesteral drug <sp?>) and noticed that
>the pills were round and white as apposed to peach and triangular (sort
>of).  So I looked at the old Zocor pills and saw "ZOCOR" printed
>directly on the pills.  The new round white pills had "LANOXIN" printed
>on each and the pharmacy label said Zocor 20mg on the bottle.

I know I never write to this list; but thoroughly read through each and
every message.  I appreciate all the info and insight everyone shares.  My
Dad (71yrs) has PD which is why I joined the list.  Anything I can do to
help out the best man in the world I will do!

I have to reply to this message.  The above problem happened to my family
about 12 years ago.  My Mother had many health problems; included was valve
replacement heart surgery at 58yrs; another open heart surgery at age 40;
spine surgery, etc.  Due to a childhood illness my Mom would go into
congestion heart failure quite frequently.  If I remember correctly she was
on 2 heart medications; a diaretic; etc.  Due to major stomach problems her
physician prescribed a new medication to be added to her daily intake.
Well, two days after taking the new medication; my Mom became totally
lethargic; couldn't get off the couch without feeling faint, etc.
Because of her various heart problems; my Mom just continued to rest
thinking it was her heart.  After 5 days on this medication; my Mom had a
doctor's appt.  Problem was my Mom was given the wrong drug by the pharmacy;
and it was a blood pressure drug that would normally be taken once a day.
Since my Mom thought it was for her stomach the prescription read 3 times a
day.  My Mom felt depressed all the time, etc. due to the way her body was
feeling; all because of a mistake.
My Mom was just about comatose due to all this; not to mention the time it
took for her body to recover from this.

I cannot stress enough to everyone to always check the pills.   Some
pharmacies now have a little computer drawing of what both sides of the pill
look like.  We; and/or our caretakers have to be aware at all times.
sometimes it is hard to know what the pills look like when a new
prescription is given; or when a generic vs. brand is given.  I now check a
drug book; and the internet before taking or giving any new drugs.

I am so glad that you noticed before your Mother took the drug.  I am very
familiar with lanoxin; and it is a heart drug that takes a while to adjust
the correct dosage for the patient.

I hope I didn't go on to long; just that this message brought back a
nightmare and I don't want anyone to go through that.