hi all

kathryn wrote:
>I have three very intense off-times per day that last about an hour and
>a half.  I'm not a PWP with tremor but more a rigid, akinetic type.  I
>can't decide whether it's best to just go prone during these times, or
>whether it's best to force myself to sit in a chair and do something
>like hold a book.  My whole body seems to tremble when I do force myself
>to any activity.  I am 49, on meds nearly 9 years and am tying to find
>ways to cope that are not necessarily medicine related.  By the way, I
>just typed this  during off-time, but now I'm a little locked into
>position at my desk with only fingertips moving...but I do always get
>moving little by slowly again.  Anyone have any recommendations?

per some advice from the late great alan bonander
i agree with his statement that both types of "off" states
overmedicated dyskinesia and undermedicated rigidity
are stressful and should be avoided or eased as much as possible

there is nothing to be 'gained' by forcing your body through this 'pain'
the muscles are not the source of the problem here

if a muscle is already tight or almost cramping
i can't imagine that adding more stress
would be anything but harmful to it

in fact
if i lie down and try to 'force' my muscles to relax
[huh?]
i think the sinemet 'kick-in' is faster
sometimes dramatically so

i'm interested that you have specific off times almost 'on schedule'
they must be related to your med or food intake

could you try some adjustments in timing
to see if you can 'change the schedule'?

have you seen my 'what does "off" mean?' post?
in it i describe the physical sensations in detail
[i don't have tremor either]

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/