Dear Carol & Philip,
    As a veteran of a staged bilateral pallidotomy (Aug '95 and Sept '96) performed by Dr.G. Rees Cosgrove of the MGH you might be on the lookout for a slight leaning on my part in favor of Pallidotomies, Dr. Cosgrove or the MGH.
I've also have continued on Tasmar despite the recent liver flap.

    It is my understanding that the MGH has a rigorous protocol that each candidate must pass before the procedure is approved. In my day it was a committee of 3 who made the decision and the vote on my 2nd was  2 to 1 in favor.I doubt I would be approved today.One of the main reasons for turning candidates is that the "patient" hasn't tried such and such a medication or hasn't been at such a level for such and such a time. In other words MGH goes the full medication routine before considering other methods.I'm sure they are taking this Tasmar twist most seriously. Why they haven't pushed Carol
to give it a longer try is not for me to question. Does Carol have any liver problems or is there any history in her family?

    The Tasmar "scare" is a bit weird. AS I understand it, if you test positive to the liver function test you are already dead. There is no early warning but perhaps I misunderstand. If I were Carol I think I would keep my options open by keeping my appointment on the books with MGH,give the Tasmar a chance and have the liver function test weekly.If it turns out that the Tasmar works great MGH will not do the Pallidotomy so you are saved making that decision, Then your problem will be your liver, ah, that is Carol's liver.

    As for me I'm doing great or put another way, I doing as great as anyone with a serious chronic illness can be expected to do. The Pallidotomies did the trick for me including the total elimination of freezing,dyskinesia and off-periods.
   And remember what ever decision you make will be the best decision for you.

  My Best
     george