You've struck on something I've brought up before, what exactly ddefines
a "cure"?  Alot, if not most, of the ideas (pallidotomy, fetal tissue
transplants, deep bran stmulation, etc.) now regularly discussed are not
cures.  They have a purpose in nthe meantime, to allow us to get by as
long as possible, but they are not permanent solutions.   The only
permanent solution lies in two possible areas.  If there is a genetic
component that specifically relates to pd, then that should be remedied.
If, however, as I understand it, the genetic component lies not in the
brain or whatever, but in the liver (i.e., a liver enzyme deficiency), I
don't necessarily agree that the solution lies there.  As I've said
before, my genes did not evolve to deal with all of the environmetal
toxins that now exist.  It seems to me that if I am chemically sensitive
and/or my liver cannot adequately filter out the hundreds/thousands of
chemicals that I amexposed to (such as pestiides which are neurotoxins),
then maybe it isn't me or my li8ver we should be looking at, but rathyer
the environment.

I actually spoke yesterday with Congressman Udall's health issues
assistant out here in Colorado on this very topic regarding pd and the
environment.  Udall is very much concerned, nort only with pd, due to
his father, but also very much with environmental issues.  I'm hoping
that maybe he'll agree with my concerns and my perspective, and maybe
use his position to also help address these issues.  Until just
recently, one hardly ever read/heard anything about pd and the
environment in the popular media.  It was this past winter that the
results of a study on twins was published and the conclusion was that
environment was a greater factor in pd than was genetics.  This info is
not new, however, it's at least 5 years or more that the environment has
been  looked at by  pd researchers.

I went to a conference 4-5 years ago at NIEHS on the role of the
environment in pd.  I kinda invited myself and even presented a poster
at the beginning of the event (I'm going to repost my abstract as well
as a couple poems relative to this in a email to follow).  One thing
that kinda ticked me off (ad still does) was that it seemed to me that
alot of the areas of research in pd that received more attention, etc.,
were as much due to politics and money as they were to science.

As per some of my statements above about the liver genetic link, I
should think the environmental aspect outweighs the genetic. Also, it
seemed to me that the emphasis on genetics was a result of that being
the area where alot of funding was available versus the environment,
where the opposite is likely mo9re true.   Also, genetics doesn't step
on as many corporate and other toes as does the environment.  If
anything, companies are probably waiting in line to fund genetic
research, so they can get their cut of the genetics data cuz that could
lead to more products, drugs, etc., later.  The environment, however,
involves much more complicated issues, not only scientific due to the
scope of the problem, but also societal, industrial, etc.  Addressing
environmental causes, rather than making companies money, could perhaps
cost them money (altho' we all pay in the long run if the earth becomes
unliveable).

So, tho' I diverged slightly, I really think we are still not looking
for a cure in all the right places, with equal funding and intent of
purpose, as we are in other areas which are more profitable and less
controversial perhaps, but not so useful.

Wendy Tebay