-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: vrijdag 25 juni 1999 3:57
Onderwerp: Re: 3rd opinion

Hi Ivan,

>> pallidotomy is for those with dyskinesias. <<
>> He said that DBS is for "tremor control." <<

It seems to me this dr.'s reaction is rather peculiar.
DBS primarily for tremor control is nonsens, because he should then have
specified about which DBS he was talking. It gives IMO much confusion just
calling it DBS. There are in general THREE DBS's to consider: DBS of the GPi
(globus pallidus internus), DBS of the Thalamus, and DBS of the STN.
And you can choose between the pallidotomy (with an irreversible laesion),
the thalamotomy (with an irreversible laesion), or one of the (reversible)
DBS's of these areas.

>> My problem- stiffness and severe offs, seemed to be not enough for him to
recommend surgery. He suggested contacting the European doctors because they
are more experienced <<

IMO he is disqualifying himself on this subject.

I think you should consider asking the (4th) opinion from yet another doctor
(hopefully more knowledgable).

Hans.