-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Ivan M Suzman
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 1999 9:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 3rd opinion

Dr. Growdon said that I'm too well for surgery. Despite all that we told
him about
my symptoms, we both (Michael, a personal care attendant and I) were
perplexed
by this 3rd opinion.
He said that pallidotomy is "out of the question" because it is primarily
for those
with dyskinesias.
He said that DBS is for "tremor control."
My problem- stiffness and severe offs, seemed to be not enough for him to
recommend
surgery.
He suggeseted contacting the European doctors because they are more
experienced

Perplexed,

Ivan  and Michael

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:03:33 -0400 Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>^^^^^^  WARM GREETINGS  FROM  ^^^^^^^^^^^^  :-)
> Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
> Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses         85  deg. F   :-)
>This evening at 5:00 I am going to be seen for the first time by Dr.
>Growden at Mass. General Hospital. I am looking forward to it. If any
>of his patients  would like to talk to me  on- or off-list, I would
>appreciate knowing your feelings about him as your physician.
>Although Tasmar has been helping me noticeably, I still have deep
>off-periods (although shorter and less frequent), and severe
>hypothermia. It is difficult to decide what to do.
>
>Boston Univ, has asked me to please consider a left-sided
>pallidotomy,
>but Rhode Island Hospital has said no, rather consider a bilateral
>DBS.
>
>So I need a 3rd opinion.
>
>I'm on Medicaid.
>

>Ivan  :-)

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)