Peter,

First of all let me say that you would have to go pretty far before I felt that
you were imposing on me. I have gotten so much from your posts and private
e-mail that I feel some times I am imposing on you and I am certainly glad to
return the favor.

Having said that I did not have a  phase in of requip. I went directly from 30
mg of bromocriptine to about 3 mg of mirapex and later  to about 15-20 mg of
requip.   My MD in fact wrote about this method or at least presented it to the
AAN meeting. I have found the reference:

I clearly am over stimulated at this point. I have some Dyskinesia with 20 mg.
of Ropinerole but NO that is ZERO, NONE, NULL --levodopa for several weeks. I am
headed to Chicago tomorrow armed with the BRAIN article and will almost
certainly be reducing my voltage and changing some other things.  AT least now
there are some vague guidelines published.

Again thanks for all your help.
Charlie

Neurology 1999 Apr 12;52(6):1227-9

Switching dopamine agonists in advanced Parkinson's disease: is rapid
titration preferable to slow?

Goetz CG, Blasucci L, Stebbins GT

Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University/Rush-Presbyterian-St.
Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612,
USA.

BACKGROUND: New dopamine agonists are available, but no study has examined safe
and effective ways to switch from
one agonist to another. OBJECTIVE: To compare rapid- versus slow-titration
schedules for starting a new dopamine agonist in
patients already on chronic agonist therapy for Parkinson's disease. METHODS:
Sixteen patients on stable
carbidopa/levodopa and a dopamine agonist (bromocriptine or pergolide) switched
to pramipexole using a conversion
calculation of 1:1 for pergolide dose and 10:1 for bromocriptine dose. Patients
were randomized to two titration
schedules-either slow titration, following the package insert and taking up to 8
weeks to reach their equivalent dosage (8
patients), or rapid titration, receiving the full converted dose the day after
stopping the former agonist (8 patients) with
subsequent weekly dose adjustments. Using a blinded observer, the primary
outcome variable was the time required to a
Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) motor score superior to
baseline without increased adverse effects.
RESULTS: Both groups showed equivalent and statistically significant improvement
after switching to the new agonist. The
mean time to reach a UPDRS score that was superior to baseline without increased
adverse effects was significantly shorter in
the rapid-titration group (mean 2.1 weeks versus 5.3 weeks). Furthermore, with
slow titration two patients experienced
enhanced parkinsonian serious adverse effects requiring hospitalization (two
falls with fractures). CONCLUSION: The
switchover from one agonist to another can be safely and successfully
accomplished with a rapid titration based on an
equivalency dose calculation.

PMID: 10214748, UI: 99229561

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.