Hello folks.

I am finding myself asking a fundamental PD question.

Jane Ross said that she did NOT need Sinemet after her DBS surgery (see
below).
And Peter Dawkins mentions the identical situation as of a couple of days
ago (also see below).

A pillar of our Temple of Wisdom is that we PWP's all need to REPLACE
missing dopamine that no longer is produced in the substantia nigra.
SInemet  contains levodopa, that will convert to dopamine, once it has
reached the brain.

When Jane  or Peter need no SInemet, did the electro-magnetic current
replace dopamine?
I don't get it. Are the stimulated spots themselves the producers of
dopamine?

Did Jane's or Peter's actual dopamine supply remain blocked, instead of
being non-existent, prior to DBS?  Does DBS liberate stored dopamine that
is otherwise unavailable?

Jane, I think you wrote that the battery died.  Has you needed to return
to  using SInemet afterwards?

Thanks,

Ivan  :-!

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 20:32:23 -0700 JaneRoss <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>My experience with sinemet was ... after the surgery I didn't need it
>any
>longer.  Quit taking it.  I actually feel better without it.  Now I
>would
>like to get off Mirapex.
>
>>Dear Charles,
>>I noted you were on ropinerole which I understand will not be
>marketed
>>here.(Australia)  I am at present titrating Mirapex which is just
>becoming
>>available here.  It appears the latest edition of Brain has confirmed
>that
>>chronic stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus and levodopa produce
>>dystonia.  Something I was pretty well was aware of through personal
>>experience and my visit to Professors Benabid and Pollack. I have not
>been
>>able to try and get rid of my Levodopa as none of the ergot agonists
>worked
>>for me. If its not an imposition could you tell me how long was your
>>titration period and if you were on ropinirole before your DBS.  I
>am
>>currently working my way up by increasing my Mirapex by 0.25, 3 times
>a day
>>every five days and yesterday (Sunday) I actually had no levodopa on
>a dose
>>of 3/4 of a milligram of Mirapex three times a day.  As I'm working
>and
>>driving today I had to take a very minimal dose of levodopa this
>morning The
>>results so far are stunning and certainly compliment the DBS surgery.
> At
>>last.
>>
>>Kind regards
>>Peter Dawkins
>

>jjjane
>http://www.geocities.com/soho/village/6263/pienet/people/hithross.html

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses        66   deg. F   :-)