Dear Ivan and Barbara,

It appears that stimulation to the STN does not seem to require additional
sinemet as does pallidotomy and stimulation to the Globus Pallidus.  Most
people who have had the surgery can cut their sinemet by half. A recent
presentation  in "Brain" confirmed that chronic stimulation to the Sub
Thalamic Nucleus can cause a reaction to the sinemet that can result in
dystonia, something that has plagued me since the operation.  The reason you
don't need sinemet is possibly the reason Professor Benabid picked the STN
as the site because it certainly relieves the greatest number of symptoms.
As with all things in Parkinson's it's not a cure and is not without its
side effects.  Thank God their few! It is my belief and hope that the recent
addition of Mirapex to my drug regime will eventually allow me to phase out
the use of sinemet.  I'll keep you posted as the titration progresses. I am
certainly feeling okay.  By the way I've had Pd for 12 years and because of
the operation I have managed to keep working.

Regards

Peter Dawkins