I have done acupuncture off and on since I was first diagnosed.  The
main thing that it is beneficial for, is slowing down the progression
oif the disease, especially if treatment is begun early.  I have an
article out of a chinese medical journal which describes this.  The most
benefiucial type of acupuncture is a type called scalp acupuncture.  It
is primarily used for stroke victims, but has also been applied to other
neurological problems.

There are a couple of more immediate benefits as well.  It can give one
instant symptom relief for a few hours.  I think that that comes also
from the fact that the treatment itlf is usually very relaxing.  I've
also used it for other problems either tied to my pd (constipation) or
compounded by it (like sinus infections).  Since I'm on so many drugs
for my pd itself, I want  to minimize any others I might need to take.
The acupuncture really does have a quick effect on these types of things
for me, some of them within hours.  I definitely think it's worth it,
cuz acupncture is supposed to bring your body  back into balance, and
that's a good place to look not only for relief from pd, but also relief
from anything else, which can complicate one's ability to deal.

I was once at a big pd meeting, and decided to stand up and ask some
questions about research into alternative medicine and pd, and why that
sort of thing was never presented at these meetings.  Anyway, shortly
after my turm, another lady got up to say that she had tried acupuncture
before but that is was no good really cuz it didn't heal  her.  Well
duh!  Would have to be my answer to that statement.  None of the drugs
we pop every day has cured anyonr, non of the surgeries have, etc., but
we still use them anyway.  People don't seem to use t he same type of
ctiteria on alternative as they do on western medicine.  It's almost as
if they have higher expectations for the alternative ones and in my
opinion, anything that helps is worth doing.  Things like acupuncture
which are noninvasive, safe, and all that, are at least a good of a form
of treatment as is any other at the moment.

Wendy T.